Monday, July 19, 2010

Mary's Praise

"My soul maginifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.  For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.  And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation." Luke 1:47-50

I love this girls, sweet Mary is overcome with worship and adoration. She has been met with a God sized challenge and overcoming odds...and her response?  Praise.  She actually was met in the middle of her everyday life by an angel of God and told that she was to be the mother of Jesus.  Pretty intense to say the least...and pretty sure at this point the cards would have not stacked in her favor with winning the approval ratings of too many friends in town.  To put it in modern day terms she would have probably been de-friended on Facebook because of her "situation" and how being associated with that kind of woman that was prego before vows were exchanged would make anyone look bad. 

And yet....in the immediate midst of her situation she brought praise to the Father.  She didn't magnify her worry, fear, sorrow, death of the perception of her purity or the sorrow over what could have the potential to alienate her from every relationship she had ever known.  As a woman, and a teenager at that, I'm positive she had a few thoughts, suggestions and a few thousand questions...but what was in the deep deep soul part of Mary is what rises to the top at this life changing moment.  She brought praise.  In pure adoration and surrender she raised the praise of her soul and she adored the King.  She brought praise.  Her response was praise.  And then not only that, she trusted in the Lord's faithfulness by declaring with great confidence that generations after her would call her blessed.  Whoa, to have that kind of trust, confidence, release and immediate obedience to offer, to act, to humble herself and willingly bring praise...that is awesome, that is worship. 

It says in my study text of my ESV study Bible that Mary's entire being is caught up in praise to God.  The only thing I get caught up with most days is my worries, anxieties, fears, to-dos, deadlines, parenting, phone calls, emails...etc...etc...etc...you know the drill.  Fill in the blank with your own.  We all get caught up in a day.  It can even be with good things.  I can get caught up with love and adoration for my cutie hubs.  I can get caught up with serving my kiddos every need.  I can get caught up with pleasing all the precious peeps in my life that I absolutely love with all my heart.  I can get caught up Facebooking until I have reconnected with every human known to man, or texting so much that I never ever have to actually make a face to face connection again.  Are you caught up?  What are you caught up in?

Mary was found in the middle of her everyday moment.  What moment would Jesus find you in and how would you respond to His calling?  I don't mean how would you feel, I mean how would you respond?  Mary didn't respond based on how she felt, she responded based on who she knew.  She recognized her humble state, that she was the least of God's servants, the weakest daughter and yet she didn't get caught up in all of that.....she got caught up in the ONE that was calling her, not who He was calling. 

Sisters, stop getting caught up in the one Jesus is calling.  Stop responding to God's call based on who you are and start praising the Mighty One that has done great things for you.  That's all He's after, He just wants your lovin'....He'll take care of the details of your life.  Mary knew that and I love that.  As a "generation after her" I am blessed today by Mary's obedience to not just surrender, but to bring praise in the midst of her calling.  I want to bring praise in the midst of the enormous calling over my life, but I want companions with me.  Get caught up in praising the mighty things God has done for you and let's worship the King together.

No comments:

Post a Comment